Hello and welcome to my blog!
I am a freelance illustrator, artist and paper crafter. I hope you will set back, have a peek around my blog, check out my archives and enjoy!
I would love it if you would "Follow" me and visit often! :)

Click directly on the green arrow below to hear a quick message from me. :)

Followers




PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VISIT MY OTHER PAGES AND TO GET TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE ABOUT ME. ;)



Some Of My Favorite Creations To Date

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Morel Mushroom Cookies (Yes...You Read It Right!) ;)

Hi Everyone!
I posted a photo of some Morel mushroom cookies that I made and my niece just let me know they had gone viral! There are lots of questions about how I made them, and for the recipe, so I thought the best way to share would be here on my blog, so I can just give a link to all the info. 
Morel season is one of my family's favorite times of the year. My brother Michael Wright's birthday just happens to fall during that season. This year the weather has made it come a little later than normal, so I made him a bag of morels (and a cookie card) from sugar and flour. 
wink emoticon
This is the photo that started the commotion.

For those that don't know what Morels are, here is a photo. They are only out a few weeks a year and that is only if all weather conditions are right. They sell for crazy amounts of money and people go crazy during hunting season. 

I think I am the first ever to do Morel cookies, as far as I can tell, so there are no cookie cutters out there. I simply rolled out the dough and free-handed the mushroom shapes.
Note the Dough-Easy  rolling mat that I used. AMAZING!
I also did a coordinating cookie card with mushrooms.
This is what the final gift looked like. Of course all of them didn't fit so hubby and I HAD to eat the rest! :)
Want my cookie recipe?
Spiced Orange Sugar Cookies

1 cup salted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange extract
the zest from one orange
3/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 cups flour



 Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, orange extract, orange zest and cardamom. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix to incorperate.  Add flour 1 cup at a time. Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Bake at 375 F for 5-6 minutes, or until just barely starting to color on the edges. 
I used Royal frosting to decorate mine, but you can sprinkle with sugar before baking or use  Butter-cream frosting if you would prefer. 

I am a Jamberry Nails consultant and all of this hubbub has me wanting to design some morel nail wraps!
Like  my blog and follow, and I will let you know when I have and will share a photo and explain how you can get your mushroom nail wraps!

Thanks for dropping by!


1 comment:

Janice said...

Just brilliant! Never heard of these mushrooms before, but I love the look of these cookies, great make! Jx